Python For Beginners
How to get started with Python without getting stuck
You’ve wanted to learn Python for some time. So you watch tutorials. And you decide to write a simple program.
You grab a mug of hot coffee. You’re ready to get started. You are going to write a Python program and it’s going to be great. You make some quick initial progress. Things are looking good.
But then. BAM! You get stuck. COMPLETELY STUCK. Google gives you TWENTY MILLION search results on every topic in the world except what you are looking for. Nothing works. The program won’t budge. You feel frustrated. You wanted to work on interesting problems. Not waste your life. This was supposed to be fun.
If this has happened to you—don’t worry—you can learn to fix this.
If this has not happened to you—yet—then you can learn to avoid it completely.
Python for Beginners
In Python for Beginners you will write Python programs from scratch. You will get stuck. Many times. Except each time you will learn how to get unstuck. And soon you will get past the initial roadblocks. And then you will start making real progress. You will create interesting programs that solve real problems. You will create programs that just work.
After the class
After the class you will feel comfortable starting a project. You will have apps you wrote in the class to use as starting points. You will know enough Python to know what is possible, and to turn your ideas into code. You will know how to get past the initial roadblocks.
What you will get
- 2 full days of hands-on training.
- Homework assignments and grading.
- Python app code from the class in a zip file.
- PDF ebook containing notes and exercises.
- MetaProse’s Certificate of Course Completion.
- Wi-Fi and power. Make sure you bring your laptops and power cords.
“I really appreciate Asim’s demeanor and how well thought out his Python class was. He was very approachable and knows how Python is used in business today. I can’t wait for the next class!”—Chris Limnios, Santa Cruz, CA
Who is the instructor?
My name is Asim Jalis. I have worked at Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard. I teach software classes to beginners. I take complicated concepts and break them down into small easy-to-digest pieces. If you want to understand Python and become productive in it this class is designed for you. There is nothing else that will get you started as quickly.
When and where is the class?
How many days is the class? This is a 2-day class.
What dates? Sat Jun 15, Sat Jun 22.
What time? 9 AM to 4 PM
Where? Hyatt Place, 4950 Hacienda Drive, Dublin, CA
We will break for lunch from noon to 1 PM—the location is next to the Hacienda Mall which provides numerous lunch options.
Do I need to know programming?
You do not need a programming background.
What will be covered?
- Hello World: Creating a simple Python program
- Data types: Manipulating text and numbers
- Functions: Reusing common code
- Reports: Generating HTML reports with Python
- Branching: Running code based on conditions
- Looping: Doing things repeatedly
- Collections: Storing lists and tables in memory
- Modules: Extending Python with 3rd party modules
- Objects: Keeping code organized as it grows
- System: Capturing output from programs, environment variables
- Web Scraping: Grabbing data from the web
- Flask: Writing web sites and web applications