Java For Beginners
How to Become a Java Developer
You have wanted to learn Java programming for some time. Knowing Java can open up new career opportunities for you in hot high-tech Bay Area companies. It can take your career to the next level.
But it is difficult to get started. There are so many different pieces to learn.
Books and tutorials give you a taste of Java. But nothing compares to hands-on experience building real Java applications. You want to write Java programs that can do useful things like manipulate files, call web services, and access databases. You want to learn how to use tools like Eclipse to build and test real Java applications.
If you are looking for a way become a skilled Java developer—don’t worry—you can learn how to do this. If you have not struggled—yet—you can completely avoid all of that, by learning hands-on how to develop Java applications.
Java for Beginners
In Java for Beginners you will learn Java by writing real applications. You will be in a class with other people and a real instructor. In time you will start making steady progress. And then you will experience the thrill of creating real applications that actually do useful things.
After the class
After the class you will have tamed Java through your hands-on coding experiences. You will feel comfortable starting a Java project from scratch. You will be able to read other people’s Java code. You will know how to translate ideas into Java applications.
You will have become a Java developer.
What you will get
- 3 full days (18 hours) of hands-on training.
- Homework assignments and grading.
- Java app code from the class in a zip file.
- PDF ebook containing notes and exercises.
- MetaProse’s Certificate of Course Completion.
- Wi-Fi and power. Make sure you bring your laptops and power cords.
Who is the instructor?
My name is Asim Jalis. I have worked at Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard. I regularly teach beginner programming classes. My goal is to make the material easy to understand by breaking down complicated concepts into small easy-to-digest pieces. If you want to understand Java and become productive this class is designed for you. There is nothing else that will get you started as quickly.
When and where is the class?
How many days is the class? This is a 3-day class.
What dates? Sat Jul 20, Sat Jul 27, Sat Aug 3.
What time? 9 AM to 4 PM
Where? Hyatt Place, 4950 Hacienda Drive, Dublin, CA
We will break for lunch from noon to 1 PM—Hacienda Mall is right next door and provides numerous delectable lunch options.
Do I need to know programming?
You do not need a programming background.
What will be covered?
- Java: intro, history, comparison with other languages
- Eclipse: create, build, debug Java projects
- Primitive types: int, double, boolean
- Branching: if, else, switch, ternary
- Looping: for, while
- Collections: lists, maps, sets
- Defining classes, interfaces, objects
- Exceptions: try, catch
- File I/O: reading, writing files
- Regular expressions
- Libraries: using external libraries
- Tools: writing command line tools
- Database: using JDBC and SQL for database access
- Web Services: writing a JSON web services client